Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Avermedia AVerTV Volar HD Nano A867R install

I installed this on an earlier Ubuntu based linux version, and now with a fresh build of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, I'm gonna have to do it again.  I seem to recall it being a complete bitch with a poorly written readme, they are Taiwanese, after all. I can't remember how I finally got the thing to work, and I wish I'd made notes...

That's ok, I'll make some now!

Open a terminal.

First, get your PC ready to compile drivers...
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
Next, get and extract the linux source so we can extract the driver parts we need...
sudo apt-get install linux-source
cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.35
sudo tar -xjf linux-source-2.6.35.tar.bz2
Now we'll copy the parts of the source code we need, specifically the contents of the DVB directory...
cd ~
sudo cp -a /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.35/linux-source-2.6.35/drivers/media/dvb/* /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic/drivers/media/dvb
Create a symbolic link...
sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic/ /lib/modules/2.6.35-28-generic/source
Change directory to where you extracted the the Avermedia driver...
cd /usr/local/src/a867_drv_v1.0.28
make
sudo make install
Once completed, you'll need to restart, then run the following command.  To cheat, run it now then when you restart you can up-arrow to get the command again, saving you from coming back to this tutorial.
lsmod | grep a867


No comments:

Post a Comment

Use information found here at your own risk!!

Hopefully you'll be more interested in my other blog... motorbikes, beer and stuff...